Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day

Today is May 1st which is called May Day.  I remember when I was in grammar school - now let me explain about my school back when!  On 1 side of the building were grades 1-7 and there was only 1 class of each grade with 1 teacher - no helpers like today!  On the other side was the high school, grades 8-12.  Most of those classes were upstairs and again 1 per grade and 1 teacher per grade.  Back to the grammar school though, we always had a May festivities and a certain grade got to plait the May Pole.  I couldn't wait till it was our class turn because I always wanted to do it.  Pretty colored ribbons and girls in their Sunday dresses!  As my luck would have it, when I reached the grade to plait the May Pole for what ever reason we didn't get to! Don't remember if they stopped have the festivities or our grade had to do something else.
This is a picture of the Flag Pole and the "May Dance" (picture from flickr by celebdu) at National Park Seminary in Maryland, 1907.
Searching to find out about May Day I found it was originated as a Pagan Holiday and that could be why it is not celebrated as far as I know.  Even though it said that in the United States May Day was also celebrated by some early European settlers of the American continent. In some parts of the United States, May Baskets are made. These are small baskets usually filled with flowers or treats and left at some one's doorstep. The giver rings the bell and runs away. The person receiving the basket tries to catch the fleeing giver. If they catch the person, a kiss is exchanged.  This has also  faded from the information I found.  May 1 is also recognized in the U.S. as Law Day. 

May 1st is also the day I add my new Candle Scents of the Month.  They are 20% off in selected container sizes, pillar sizes, votives and melts in certain quantities, and room/linen spray. 
Secret GardenSecret Garden - This enchanting garden path includes the essences of water lilies, tulips and lotus blossoms with hints of apricot, peach & geranium.
blueberry cobbler
Blueberry Cobbler - Mouthwatering blueberries and baked vanilla creates an inviting aroma
pineapple sage
Pineapple Sage - An exotic blend with sweet pineapple and aromatic sage.  Pineapple Sage is a fragrant garden herb that attracts hummingbirds and butterflies with it's red bloom but it will surely attract you with it's beautiful scent

I have also added the 16 oz Apothecary Jar.  I have had several customers asking about this jar.  I have been burning Cranberry Fig (wonderful scent!) since I think Friday and today is Wednesday and it is still burning.  I burn like you are not supposed to burn, usually for 10-12 hrs a day without putting the flame out and relighting it.  
This would make a great Mother's Day gift!  To close for today I want to wish all Mothers, Grandmothers, Aunts, and Mother Figures a very Happy Mothers Day.  May your day be filled with love, laughter, the company of your loved ones, and Gods Blessings!    




No comments :

Post a Comment