Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grama's & Grannies

Been needing to post but nothing would come to mind.  I had promised myself that I was going to do better than I have in the past with a blog but-----

Grama-me, Granny-the other mother!  I really do not know what children that work would do without us!!  There was a time though neither of us could help.  Granny worked to far away and my employer would not have let me off to run the necessary errands!  Employers that don't have children, and especially grandchildren really do not realize how hard it is for parents this day & time. 

Got a phone call this morning about quarter to 8 - " I hate to ask you this but---Randa left her book bag.  Would you go to the house and get it and bring it to the office?" Well, what's a Grama to say?  I told her to tell Randa it was going to cost her!  Randa being the oldest and Lucy the youngest.

Left book bags, work books, sick child, dance lessons, and various other things they need cause both work and they don't get home until late.  Daughter-in-law is a school teacher so at least we don't have to take the kids to school or pick them up.  By kids of course I am talking about my precious, beautiful granddaughters! 10 & 8 but closer to 11 & 9!

Well, that about covers Grama and Granny duty, short writing but can be very time consuming!  Just thankful that we are both free to help them out.

Guess I need to say something about my candle business.  It is sorta slow right now, slower than in past years.  Sometimes it worries me and then other times it doesn't.  It gives me time to finish my Christmas shopping and just piddle.  I am a great piddler, can do it all day and be so very tired and not have accomplished nothing cause I jump from one thing to the other!

Anyway, earlier this year I guess it was I changed from accepting payments through a card processing I guess you could call it to PayPal.  I really like PayPal, you can use a check or credit/debit card and I really prefer to use my check when possible.  But I wonder if that stops some customers from ordering.  I have seen some post on a forum that they think so and have stopped using them.  To me I found it was much cheaper for me than having to pay a company to process my orders and then payments had to go through a gateway to make it to your bank.  It became very expensive because you had to pay both, even when orders were slow there was still a charge from both.  Add that to pay-per-click advertising, internet access, insurance, and all the other odds & ends that a lot don't realize is a regular recurring charge and it get rather expensive. 

Off course candle making is not a cheap hobby/business like I think some think it is when they start.  They quickly find out just how expensive it can become with wax, containers, oils, and the other miscellaneous things that are necessary for candle making.  At times shipping can cost as much as the product you order unless you can order in very large bulk and then you can save on shipping.  

I see candle makers that do a lot of promoting on Facebook and I think I need to but then I am just not that creative to think up really good and "catchy" promotions so I don't.  Oh well, age may play into it cause "I just ain't as young as I used to be"!!!!

Well, this turned into a rather lengthy post and probably you will get tired or reading before you get to the end of it!!  Better close and try to catch up on some, no really a lot of bookkeeping and sorting mail I need to do.  I have to do this for 3 - myself, hubby, & church so that can just about turn into a full time job.  Only problem though there is no pay for it!!

Have a blessed and wonderful rest of week.

No comments :

Post a Comment